Tuesday 14 December 2010

Canal Dog Blog

Hello, my name is "Lola" or it was, for a short while. However, since I was a twelve week old puppy I have travelled under the pseudonym of "Poppy" though my posh name on my birth certificate is "Sharrowvale Ace of Hearts". I am a feisty female who is (without the slightest difficulty) living up to the name bitch! People often look at me and say "its a Wire Haired Fox Terrier". The first few times this happened I looked round to see what they were talking about. However, for anyone who is unsure. I can guarantee that I am a fully paid up member of the terrier clan. I have no idea what a "Wire Haired Fox" looks like. I have seen and chased a few of those "Red Foxes" along the tow path. But I have yet to meed a Wire Haired Fox.


I live for part of the year (winter) on land and for the rest of the year (spring, summer and autumn) I live on a traditional English narrow-boat. My family and me enjoy our time cruising the rivers and canals of England. If you would like to know a little bit more about Narrow-boat history click this link.


I was born at a very early age into an instant family of sextuplets plus my mum Vera. I was visited and seemingly passed over by several prospective (but obviously tasteless) adoptive parents. However, I decided that it was time for some positive thinking. So I decided to play the "sticky lick" card. When the next batch of prospect parents arrived. As soon as I was picked up, I went for the fastest face lick ever! Needless to say, I was an instant success. The point being proved when my new dad who had picked me up. After he had been given an instant sticky lick said "You can choose any puppy you like, as long as it's this one" we were instant friends.

I had to tough it out for a while longer as we were not ready for going to our new homes. Something to do with "weaning". I like to think I was house trained quite quickly and to be honest I weaned very little at that time. However I knew that mum Vera had by this time decided it was time for us all to depart. Soon the day arrived and I was whisked off to pastures new. The journey was spent cuddled up in a blanket on my new mums lap.

Before I left, I promised to visit mum and one of my sisters called Olive who was staying behind whenever possible. However, I have since decided that the best way to keep in touch is to write a blog of my life ashore and afloat. Whilst this blog is intended only for my family to read and for them to keep up to date with my travels. You're all welcome to come and have a look whenever your of the mind.

Yip yip!

Love Poppy XX

No comments:

Post a Comment